|Custody Data (1997-Present)
||How many juveniles are held in residential placement on a given day in the U.S.?
||Nationally, 57,190 juvenile offenders were held in residential placement facilities on October 26, 2012.
[ Text only ]
[ Excel file ]
- Information about youth in residential placement and the facilities that hold these youth are based on two OJJDP data collections: the Census of Juveniles in Residential Placement (CJRP) and the Juvenile Residential Facility Census (JRFC), respectively. Combined, these data collections provide a one-day count of the youth residential placement population.
- ORIGINAL: The Census of Juveniles in Residential Placement (CJRP) provides a one-day count of all juvenile offenders in public or private residential facilities in the United States. CJRP is generally administered on the last Wednesday of October in odd numbered years. However, a set of unforseen circumstances prevented the 2005 mailout from taking place in October of that year. The census date for that wave of data collection was in February 2006. In 2009, OJJDP did not receive OMB clearance for the October census date, therefore the census date for that wave of data collection was in February 2010.
- The vast majority of residents in juvenile residential placement facilities on October 26, 2012 were juvenile offenders (89%).
- The one-day count of juvenile offenders in residential placement fell 46% between 1997 and 2012.
- More than two-thirds (69%) of juvenile offenders were held in public facilities in 2012 - and more than half (52%) of these youth were in local facilities.
Data collection reference dates: 10/29/1997 (CJRP), 10/27/1999 (CJRP), 10/25/2000 (JRFC), 10/24/2001 (CJRP), 10/23/2002 (JRFC), 10/22/2003 (CJRP), 10/27/2004 (JRFC), 02/22/2006 (CJRP), 10/24/2007 (CJRP), 10/22/2008 (JRFC), 02/24/2010 (CJRP), 10/26/2011 (CJRP), and 10/24/2012 (JRFC).
Internet citation: OJJDP Statistical Briefing Book. Online. Available: http://www.ojjdp.gov/ojstatbb/corrections/qa08201.asp?qaDate=2012.
Released on December 16, 2014.
Data Source: Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Census of Juveniles in Residential Placement for the years 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2010, and 2011 and the Juvenile Residential Facility Census for the years 2000, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2012. [machine-readable data files]. Washington, D.C.: OJJDP.
USA.gov | Privacy | Policies & Disclaimers | FOIA | Site Map | Ask a Question | OJJDP Home
A component of the Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice