Easy Access to NIBRS Victims, 2016
Characteristics of Victim
Go to top of page
- Victim-Offender relationship
- This variable describes the victim's relationship to the offender. To be included in the "Victims of Domestic Violence" extract, the victim-offender relationship had to fall into one of the following categories:
- Spouse - includes common-law spouse
- Parent or step-parent
- Sibling or step-sibling
- Child or step-child
- Other family member
- Child of boyfriend/girlfriend
- Homosexual relationship
- For the "Victims of Violence" extract, the following groups are used:
- Family - includes spouse (including common-law); parent, sibling, child, grandparent, grandchild, in-law, step-parent, step-child, step-sibling, or other family member.
- Acquaintance - includes acquaintance, friend, neighbor, babysittee (the baby), boyfriend/girlfriend, child of boyfriend/girlfriend, homosexual relationship, ex-spouse, employee/employer, or otherwise known.
- Stranger - victim was a stranger.
- Other - victim was offender.
- Unknown - the relationship of the victim to the offender was unknown.