Easy Access to NIBRS Victims, 2016
Characteristics of the Incident
Go to top of page
- Type of Weapon
- This variable indicates the presence of a weapon, but does not imply the weapon was used. For the purposes of this application the type of weapon category was collapsed (as shown below). Multiple weapons can exist if one offender possessed multiple weapons, or if multiple offenders in the incident each possessed one or more weapons. In a case where there were multiple weapons present, the following hierarchy was applied for selecting the type of weapon:
- Firearm - Firearm, Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun, and Other gun.
- Knife - Knife, Cutting instrument, Icepick, Screwdriver, Axe, etc.
- Blunt object - Hammer, club, etc.
- Personal - Hands, Fists, Feet, and Other personal weapon.
- Other - Poison, Pushed out window, Explosives, Fire, Drugs, Drowning, Strangulation, and Asphyxiation.